Monday, July 30, 2012

New Floors Woooohoooooo!!

I went to the Habitat Restore in my town to look at laminet hardwood floors I have a small house I wanted to do the living room and hallway. I figured it out it would cost me 232.00 for the flooring, and 60.00 for the paper that goes under the floor. My ex husband would put them in for me,(will post about that in another blog)  so it wouldn't cost me any labor. I talked to my step dad he told me to look under some of the carpet to make sure there was good floor there that I didn't need a sub floor becase that would cost me more.
I left the restore without buying the floor to go home and look at the floor take a picture to send to my step dad. I got home pulled out the couch, wanted to bringthe carpet up in a spot where it wouldn't show, and what to my surprise did I see but beautiful old hardwood floors. I was so excited I was beside myself. I have always wanted to have old original hardwood floors in my house. I texted my ex husband sent him a picture of the floor asked him instead of putting in new floors could he sand and stain these floors? Or at least check them out to see of he could, he said it is alot more time consuming and alot more work but yes he could. I was so excited that I may have original old hardwood floors.
He came down brought 2 sanders, a nice brush and  knee pads to do the job.
He started pulling up carpet and said wow these are original 80 year old oak hardwood floors yes I will sand and stain them.
We went to wal mart bought stain, and sandpaper for his belt sander and he got to work pulling up carpet and padding. It was really disgusting someone who lived in this house previousley did not take care of the carpet there were pee stains all in the back and through the padding. But here are what we discovered when the carpet was pulled up.
Someone was very carless with paint and didn't care what how they treated the beautiful wood floor.
Took him a day and half to sand the living room and hallway but looked good when he was done.  This is after the sanding was done, before the stain.
I chose a stain called Early American was a medium color didnt want them too light or too dark. If I had it to do over I would have gone a little lighter but I still love them.
He worked another day staining the floor, We didn't get the polyurathaine top clear coat when we got the stain he said I will come down again adn finish them with the top coat. well he got to thinking no I htink we need to do it npw to protect them. So at 7:30am on saturday morning we went to Meijer and got the top coat, very expensive I thought(17.00 for a little can) but well worth it. He spent another half day putting on the top coat.
But I am happy to say the floors are done and looking beautiful I love them, and have the floors I have always wanted.
This is my project for the week, Today I had to sweep and mop all the floors, wash all the comforters, dust vaccuum, yesterday I washed walls, clean everything as the dust from sanding went everywhere! I still have some work to do but nothing I can't live with as I do the work little by little.
I am next working on painting the window trim in my entryway greyblue, then painting the 3 steps into my home in the entryway grey blue, it is just too plain. that will be another post.
thanks for stopping god bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment