Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Bursitis Ordeal Part 2

To begin the surgical procedure, an incision is made in the side of the thigh over the area of the greater trochanter. The surgeon continues the incision through the tissues that lie over the bursa.
The tendon is then split so that the trochanteric bursa and the bone of the greater trochanter can be seen. The tendon is split lengthwise. The bursa sac is removed. The bone of the greater trochanter is smoothed, and any bone spurs are removed.
At this point the tendon may be lengthened or released and not repaired. If the surgeon chooses not to repair the tendon, scar tissue will eventually heal the loose edges of the tendon. As it heals, it will be looser than before surgery, so it won't rub on the greater  trochanter is smoothed, and any bone spurs are removed.
At this point the tendon may be lengthened or released and not repaired. If the surgeon chooses not to repair the tendon, scar tissue will eventually heal the loose edges of the tendon. As it heals, it will be looser than before surgery, so it won't rub on the greater trochanter quite so much. The skin is closed with stitches.
This operation may not be successful. All operations have a chance of failure, and this operation is no different. Even after going through the procedure, you may continue to have pain from trochanteric bursitis. This is clearly not the expected outcome.
So I did 3 1/2 months of outpatient physical therapy, which didn't seem to help my hip at all actually seemed to make it worse. The Dr. said the only thing he knew left to do was to have the bursea removed, but he had never done it before so he sent me to a orthapediec dr at St Joe's hospital. So I made a app't for 2 weeks later.
I saw this Dr he conformed the diagnosis of 2 other Dr's I had seen but wanted to make absolutely sure so he had me get a pain injection in my right hip(not the bursea) to see if it helped. If it didn't it was for sure my bursea not my hip. I had the injection a week later. I had a app't with the Dr. 2 weeks after, I went the injection did not help my pain at all, so we knew it was bursea. The Dr said the only thign left to do is have the Bursea removed. So his office cheduled me for surgery.
I had the surgery on January 18, 2012. I was in the recovery room and never felt such pain. My hip hurt me so bad. The Dr had said I could go home after but, since I needed so much pain medicine he made me stay in the hospital overnight. I wasn't happy about that.
In the hospital I received pain meds when I needed it had a tv so wasn't so bad, but man did my hip and leg hurt. I had great pain from this.
The Physicians asssitant who saw me the next day so I could leave told me what was done. I had my bursea removed and it was very infected so it was cleaned out. He gave me scripts fpr pain meds, toldme not to take a bath for a week and said I could go home.
I had a app't woth the Dr. a week later which I went to he just wanted to make sure the incision was not infected, It wasn't. 
I told him about the tingling and numbness I was having in my feet and legs which I have had since I seen a pain dr and he did a procedure on my back, around June, 2011. Now he wants me to see a pain dr from St. Joes I told him I was a little scared to see another pain dr becase of what happened before. But he asked me to please see him so I said ok. I have a appt with his this week(2/15/12) and I go back to see the Ortho Dr. on 2/26/12 Which I will report that my hip does not feel any better, I am still having lots of pain, still walking with a cane, and can not drive or go up and down stairs. 
We will see what happenes at the next appts.
more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment